Vegan Corn Muffins
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 23 minutes
Author Kelly Roenicke Modified by IHHC
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup white spelt flour or a gluten free flour blend*
- 3 Tbsps organic cane sugar
- 3 1/2 tsps baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsps sea salt
- 5 Tbsps unsweetened applesauce
- 6 Tbsps vegan buttery spread melted (I used Earth Balance Vegan Spread)
- 1 1/8 cup non-dairy milk (I used So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup corn kernels optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with parchment paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, organic cane sugar, sea salt, and baking powder.
- Add the applesauce, melted vegan buttery spread, and non-dairy milk. Add the corn kernels if desired.
- Stir ingredients until combined. Let the batter sit for a few minutes – you will see the baking powder react, and the batter will puff up.
- Gently spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 16-19 minutes. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for a few minutes before removing.
If you use gluten free flour, use a lighter blend. You will also need to reduce the applesauce to 4 Tbsps.