Flavorful chicken meatballs are served over zoodles for a tasty low carb grain free meal! An egg free and gluten free recipe.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or Avocado Oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound ground chicken thighs
- 1 pound ground chicken breasts
- 3/4 cups cooked potatoes (I used two Yukon Gold potatoes that had been baked, and I mashed them with a fork).
- 1 teaspoon Italian season
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 small zucchini (or 1pkg already prepared)
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil
- Prepare your potatoes. I used two small Yukon Gold potatoes that I baked, then mashed with a fork. You could also use leftover mashed potatoes.
- Place all the ingredients for the meatballs in a large bowl and use your hands to mix it all together. Pour the olive/avocado oil in a large skillet. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Form the meat mixture into meatballs and place them in the skillet with the olive/avocado oil. Cook over medium heat, turning so that they are browned on all sides.
- Once the meatballs are browned, transfer them to a ceramic baking dish. Add 1/2 cup water, and bake at 375 degrees until they are cooked through – about 15-20 minutes. The meatballs should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Once the meatballs are almost done baking, use your spiralizer to make your zucchini into zoodles. (If you don’t have a spiralizer, you can just thinly slice your zucchini, or use the prepackaged zoodles).
- Place the zoodles into a pot with the olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until the zoodles are tender and bright green.
- Once the zoodles are cooked, season with salt and pepper. To serve, place some zoodles on each plate and top with meatballs. Garnish with fresh basil if desired.
Author Kelly Roenicke, modified by IHH Clinic.