Allergen Friendly Smore’s Bars
- 1 cup (2 sticks) dairy-free, soy-free margarine, such as Earth Balance
- 1 1/2 cups cane sugar
- 6 tbsp aquafaba egg replacer (see egg replacer note at end of recipe)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups Cat’s Gluten-Free Flour Blend (see recipe below)
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free graham cracker crumbs (1 8-oz box crackers)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
Marshmallow Cream & Garnish Ingredients
- 3/4 cup reduced egg replacer (see Egg Replacer Note)
- 1/2 tsp guar gum
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 + 1/4 cup allergy-friendly dark chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350° F and set aside a 9 x 13-inch baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat margarine and sugar until creamy. Add aquafaba egg replacer and vanilla and beat again. Scrape down bowl.
- Add flour blend, graham crumbs, baking powder, and xanthan gum and beat on low to combine. Increase speed to medium for 30 seconds to form a thick batter. Set aside.
- For cream, in a clean bowl of a stand mixer, combine reduced egg replacer, guar gum, and cream of tartar. Using the whip attachment beat on high for about two minutes to consistency of lightly beaten egg white. Add sugar and vanilla, cover bowl with a kitchen towel and beat on high for 5 minutes, until stiff and glossy.
- To assemble, reserve 1/3 of batter. Spread the rest of batter on bottom of parchment-lined pan and smooth out. Sprinkle 1 3/4 cups chocolate chips over batter and press chips lightly into batter. Spread marshmallow cream over chips and smooth out.
- Scatter reserved batter by tablespoons over marshmallow cream in a random fashion, pressing down to flatter slightly. You won’t cover all marshmallow; you want some to show through. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips over top.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until batter is set and just starting to get golden and marshmallow is developing a matte skin. Don’t overbake, you want it gooey!
- Transfer pan to wire rack to cool completely before cutting. Do not attempt to slice bars while still warm.