Allergen Friendly Quinoa Sloppy Joes
Recipe from Plant Power: Transform Your Kitchen, Plate, and Life with More Than 150 Fresh and Flavorful Vegan Recipes ©2014, published by HarperOne, reprinted by permission. Modified by IHHClinic. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed in a fine sieve
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or 3 tablespoons broth or water
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ medium green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1½ cups cooked or one15- to 16-ounce can (drained and rinsed) pinto or red beans, coarsely mashed (or 1½ cups cooked)
- 15- to 16-ounce can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium tomato, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium natural soy sauce or tamari, or to taste [substitute wheat-free tamari for gluten-free, or coconut aminos]
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or maple syrup, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons good-quality chili powder, or more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 whole grain rolls, English muffins, or mini-pitas [use gluten-free buns, if needed]
- Combine the quinoa with 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil, broth, or water in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the bell pepper and sauté until both are golden.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the bread of choice, and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook over medium-low heat, loosely covered, for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let the skillet stand off the heat for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle further and for the quinoa to absorb the tomato flavors.
- Evenly spoon the filling over the bottoms of whole-grain rolls, cover with the tops, or serve open-faced.